30 May 2006

Why be an Optimist?

Memorial day never used to mean much to me. I am against the war, and do not hold too much weight for the overall good of the military. However, with the passing of both of my grandfathers in the past year, I had to pause to at least think about what it meant to be part of the military. They, of course, had no choice, but to be in the military. My paternal grandfather, was, as I like to call him, a reluctant soldier. He didn't want to be where he was, but he figured he'd make the best of it. He took these amazing candid photographs of fellow soldiers totally goofing around!

My maternal grandfather had a lung condition and was forbidden to participate in combat. He was a weatherman, and absolutely loved it. That was what we connected about when I was a kid - the weather. And, people joke about discussing the weather, but with him, it was the greatest way to spend an afternoon.

My maternal grandfather was in the Optimist's Club, and for the longest time, I thought this was something like a Rotary Club, a civic organization of some sort. Recently, at a bed and breakfast, I was drinking tea out of a mug, and it was imprinted with the Optimist's Creed. What? It's really about being an optimist!

So, I thought again about both of my grandfathers and how they really did look to the bright side of things. I felt that on this Memorial Day, (well, a day after), I would post this creed in their honor, and try to live a little of it.

Optimist's Club Creed
Promise yourself . . .

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness, prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something of value in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only the best, to work only for the best, and to expect the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistake so the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit presence of trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the positive thoughts! Living in Miami doesn't always give you an optimist's perspective on life; the focus here tends to be on money or other superficial things. So, good job for that, and for sharing a unique view of Memorial Day!