16 May 2006

Hurricane Preparedness


How do you know when it's almost Hurricane Season? When, at 1 PM students peek outside the classroom door and are afraid they signed up for night school. Oh, and when the news media starts showing more satellite pictures like this one from the Miami Herald (5/16/06).

For the past two days the earth has poured down, gusted winds and even hailed all over the Miami area, and left many wondering if they're prepared for the upcoming Hurricane Season. I, a Miami native, feel like I've got a handle on it. I know what to do, when to do it, and I DO IT! This is not one of those things you can procrastinate about. If you aren't prepared for a storm, it's still coming. The good news is that there is a lot people can do now to help themselves out during a storm. It really scares me to think that folks still believe that zig-zagging masking tape over their windows will prevent anything! So, if you read this, pass it along and spread the knowledge. Help each other stay safe and be prepared.

There are several sites you can go to for a lot of information (weed through what you know, and you'll get some good tips)
National Hurricane Center
FEMA (I know, I know, but it has some info)
Florida Disaster Site

Here's what my family and I do:

1. Get together a Hurricane Kit,yes an actual bag, box or something, which includes food and water for 2 days of more, for each person, flashlights, batteries, battery-operated radio/tv, an old-fashioned plug-into-the-wall phone, sanitary items (wipes, tampons, toilet paper), and games (Cranium and Uno are my favorites).

2. Close the shutters early.

3.When you hear that a storm is coming, fill up your gas tank, and keep filling it up until you are home for the duration of the storm.

4. Pick a location where everyone in your family will go when a storm is coming, and go there ASAP.

5. Charge cell phones, laptops and cameras so you can still use them after the power is out. Last year my power was out for two weeks! And, dammit, I need to take pictures. Seriously, though, you'll want your cell phone,laptop and camera operational for use after the storm.

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS WEEK IS MAY 21 - 27

No comments: