09 December 2005

today show annoyance

I was watching the Today Show a couple of days ago as I usually do in the morning, and the most annoying thing ever happened. Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs were being interviewed by Katie Couric on how 5o is the new 30. Ok, I could work with that title. I think that 50 is definitely still young, and I know lots of 5o somethings that are great. But, these two women just went and screwed the whole thing up. They proceeded to say how it was ok to turn 50 nowadays because there are great skin products out there which can help take away wrinkles. Plus, there are lots of other non-invasive procedures currently which save women from having to "go under the knife." Well, thank god there are face creams out there and botox so I don't have to look my age! What's wrong with women who are 50, and so what if they look like they are 50?! These two women are no role models for me. Smiles, skin and hair from bottles and jars. No thank you.

There was one hilarious thing that happened . . . as the models were talking, Katie Couric interrupted, and said, Wait, aren't we supposed to be encouraging women to look great at their age, not despite of it. And the models continued that technology was so advanced that we didn't have to worry about looking old anymore. Well, I've got news for them - they did look old. And they looked like were trying too damned hard to fight time.

Now, I know that coming from a 25 year old, all this rambling may not mean much, but I hope that somewhere out there women can stop fighting and start living. When will we get it through our minds that looking good has so many variations?

No comments: