24 November 2005

thanksgiving remarks and pumpkin bread recipe


It's been while since I posted, and it seems fitting to me that it's on Thanksgiving. Those of you that know me know that's it's been a tough year for me. Just a week ago, I lost my grandfather only three months after losing my other grandfather. I wasn't sure how I'd feel today, a day when I was supposed to be happy, but I am actually doing alright. Both of my grandfathers were such great men, and they really did live their lives according to their own plans. Each one in their own way. Today, on Thanksgiving, I am happy for what I have learned and inherited from them. I am happy to still be around now, learning as much as I can from my family, friends, and every new person I meet on my adventures. And so ends this note. . . with a recipe for Pumpkin Walnut Bread . . .

Pumpkin Walnut Bread
Makes 1 loaf.
pumpkin, sectioned and boiled (you'll need flesh about the size of a sweet potato)
4 cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp easy blend yeast
2/3 c walnut pieces
1 1/4 c warmed milk
salt and pepper
extra flour for dusting
oil for greasing

1. Boil the pumpkin sections and scoop out the flesh.
2. Sift together flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast. .
3. Add the pumpkin and mix. Add salt and pepper
4. Make a well in the center, and pour in the milk. Mix.
5. Turn dough out and knead 5 mins.
6. Put into bowl, and cover with oiled plastic sheet. Let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
7. Punch down, and knead a few mins.
8. Place in pan, cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
9. Place in 400 degree oven for 25 mins.
10. You'll know it's done when it's golden brown, and when you knock on the top it sounds hollow.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

No comments: