02 November 2005

two great artists here!


Ok, so I'm really thrilled that two great artists are going to be visiting Miami, despite all the chaos caused by Hurricane Wilma. First, Yvonne Rainer will be here, tomorrow, Thursday, at Florida Atlantic University. She's a dancer turned filmmaker with some very interesting critiques. There is so much to say about her, but I won't put it all here. If you just type her name in to google, you'll get a ton of info!




Journey from Berlin/1971





Guillermo Gomez Pena, a performance artist and activist will be at Florida International University, South on Friday, November 4 at 8pm. This is a spectacular event to come to Miami considering his critical viewpoints, and Miami's notoriously right-leaning tendencies. I most interested in his perspective on displacement and how that feeds into performance. Additionally, I am excited to see his work in person, as until now, I have only read about it. If you are interested in reading about his work, there is a lot of good discourse out there. Hopefully, when I start a PhD program in the Fall, I will be one of those people adding to the available knowledge.

No comments: