12 January 2006

student inspiration

As I did not "plan" to be a teacher, a lot of the work I do can be very frustrating for me. I was used to making my art, doing my research and most unaccustomed to teaching 180 people basic photography. But, here I am a year and a half later, and at least once a day a student comes along whose smile can remind me why this turmoil is a good thing.

With all that said, I have two things to share. First, after my friend Kathy introduced me to Keri Smith's work via her blog, I just had to try some of her creativity exercises out with my classes. Since the students keep a journal, I decided to the 100 ideas. The kids each picked one square out of a bag and had a week to complete the task. I'll get some digital photos up here soon. Some of them are hilarious. Try some of her activities out for yourself; they're great!

Secondly, this week I took about 20 students to the Miami Art Museum to see the Ana Mendieta exhibit. Great! Thrilling! Immense! are they words that come to my mind. While there, my students collectively created a poem, and I want to share it:

different
enlightening
amazing
Mother Nature
life
transforming
heritage
creator
expressive
nurturing
unique
extravagant
creepy
mysterious
sorrow
heartfelt
mother
Cuba

No comments: